Central Cost Roundup

By Redaccion
Redaccion@latinocc.com

City officials have proposed a 5% increase to solid waste fees, known as «AB 939 Fees,» to ensure the continued financial stability of Carpinteria’s Solid Waste Program. 

The local authorities stated the adjustment aims to cover rising operational costs and support key waste management initiatives, including free hazardous waste disposal, composting, waste reduction programs, and public education efforts. 

For more information, visit the city’s website or contact Erin Maker at, 805.880.3415 or erinm@carpinteriaca.gov.

Ventura County District Attorney Erik Nasarenko announced today that Martin Herrejon Vieyra, 58, of Santa Paula, has been charged with four felony counts of child molestation. 

The charges include three counts of continuous sexual abuse and one count of sexual penetration by a foreign object involving a child under the age of 14. 

The criminal complaint also alleges special circumstances, including crimes committed against multiple victims. 

Vieyra made his initial court appearance today, and his arraignment has been continued.

Vieyra is accused of sexually abusing two victims over several years, both of whom were minors under the age of 14 at the time of the alleged crimes. Authorities state that he had access to the victims due to a familial relationship.

The investigation began in October 2024 when the Santa Paula Police Department initiated a case involving allegations against Vieyra. 

The Ventura County District Attorney’s Bureau of Investigation later took over the case, conducting additional inquiries that led to the issuance of an arrest warrant. 

On February 13, District Attorney investigators arrested Vieyra outside his Santa Paula residence without incident.

Vieyra remains in custody on $100,000 bail. His continued arraignment is scheduled for March 14, at 9:00 a.m. at the Ventura County Superior Court.

Oxnard City Council Extends Sterling’s Contract, Preserves OPAC’s Role**

After a heated debate and last-minute negotiations, the Oxnard City Council approved a five-year contract extension for Sterling, while ensuring continued collaboration with the Oxnard Performing Arts Center (OPAC).

The deal marks a financial win for the city, which previously spent over $1 million annually to maintain the center but has since broken even thanks to staff reductions and rent payments from Sterling and OPAC. However, tensions have grown between the two groups over how the facility should be managed.

City staff presented a report outlining ongoing disputes and recommended the council grant Sterling greater control over OPAC’s operations. 

More than 60 community members voiced their opinions, with most supporting OPAC. 

While some Sterling employees advocated for the contract extension, OPAC supporters emphasized the nonprofit’s vital role in serving the community.

“This is not a fight between sides. This is a fight between visions. Instead of choosing sides, we should choose solutions,” said Elisa Torres, an Oxnard artist backing OPAC.

Teo Lopez, a member of OPAC’s board, echoed that sentiment, stating the nonprofit’s priority was not to replace Sterling but to ensure OPAC could continue its mission without obstacles. 

“Let’s make this moment a fresh start for both of us,” Lopez said.

Despite efforts by city staff to mediate between the two organizations in the weeks leading up to the meeting, an agreement remained elusive. 

But as the meeting stretched past midnight, a breakthrough emerged when Sterling founder Lance Sterling crossed the chamber and knelt beside OPAC Board Chair Gary Davis and Executive Director Carolyn Mullin. The two sides then walked to the podium to announce a tentative deal.

The council, with Councilmember Gabriela Rodriguez recused due to a potential conflict of interest, unanimously approved the five-year extension. However, they removed language that would have given Sterling sole discretion over OPAC’s operations. Instead, city staff, Sterling, and OPAC will work together over the next year to formalize contracts granting OPAC control of the center’s eight rooms, while Sterling retains rights over the theater.

As the decision was finalized, OPAC supporters exited the chambers, visibly relieved and optimistic. 

“I’m happy. I think the community turned out,” Mullin said. “The community spoke. City Council listened.”

Tania Israel, a professor at UC Santa Barbara’s Gevirtz Graduate School of Education, has been awarded the 2025 Award for Distinguished Senior Career Contributions to Psychology in the Public Interest by the American Psychological Association (APA). 

“I’m so honored to be receiving this award from the APA,” Israel said. 

Israel, a faculty member in the Counseling, Clinical, & School Psychology Department, also serves as the Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at the Gevirtz School.

The APA’s prestigious award recognizes individuals whose contributions in psychology have made a significant impact on addressing social issues. 

Recipients must meet one or more of the following criteria: making a courageous and distinctive contribution to solving an intractable social problem, expanding the accessibility of psychological science and practice to diverse populations, or integrating psychological research and practice in a way that advances social justice and human welfare.

In a nomination letter submitted to the APA, Israel’s 25-year career was highlighted for her work supporting sexual and gender minorities through research, community engagement, policy advocacy, and mentoring.

 “Dr. Israel has applied psychological knowledge and skills to support sexual and gender minorities through research, community engagement, policy advocacy, and mentoring. More recently, her thought leadership and resources have helped countless Americans navigate political conflict,” the letter stated. 

Israel has also been recognized for increasing visibility for bisexuality in psychological research and public policy. 

Following the 2016 U.S. presidential election, she developed resources, workshops, and her book, “Beyond Your Bubble: How to Connect Across the Political Divide”, to help Americans bridge political differences. 

Her most recent book, “Facing the Fracture: How to Navigate the Challenges of Living in a Divided Nation”, was published in 2024.

A 39-year-old man was fatally shot Monday night in Oxnard, prompting an investigation by the Oxnard Police Department’s Major Crimes Unit.

Officers responded to reports of a shooting victim near the intersection of H Street and Second Street, where they found Ruben Villa suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. Police immediately initiated life-saving measures while emergency medical personnel arrived to provide treatment. Despite their efforts, Villa succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Oxnard Police Department’s Major Crimes Unit is leading the investigation and is urging the public to come forward with any information that could help identify those responsible. 

Authorities are offering a $25,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of any individuals responsible for homicides in Oxnard. 

Anyone with information regarding this case is asked to contact Detective Ricardo Vega at (805) 385-7688 or via email at ricardo.vega@oxnardpd.org. Those who wish to remain anonymous can report tips by calling Ventura County Crime Stoppers at 1 (800) 222-8477 or by submitting information online at www.venturacountycrimestoppers.org. Additional reports can be submitted through the Oxnard Police Department’s website at www.oxnardpd.org by clicking on ‘Report Suspicious Activity.’